Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lindy

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700033763/Colorado-woman-killed-in-crash-near-Tremonton.html

My 2nd cousin was killed yesterday in a car crash. Let me first say that I am not writing this because I need any one's sympathy. I am fine. I actually was not really that close to her, which now makes me pretty sad that I didn't take the time to get to know her. It's been a while since someone I am related to has past away. I didn't think it bothered me that bad and then last night I just was bawling, I felt like I couldn't breath. It scares me because when I think of death for me, I think I will be old. And that is not necessarily true. My cousin was 23 and had 3 children under the age of 4. I can't get the image out of my head of them being in the car still and being so afraid with no one to comfort them. It literally breaks my heart. I think what hits so close to home is that she is a young mother like me. Life is so fragile, and this has taught me to make the most of it. I am so thankful to be alive and to have my immediate family members living, what a great blessing that is. I think that sometimes the LDS people over simplify death. When someone dies we say, "Oh well they are in a better place." Yes that thought is comforting but it will probably be another 70 years before her children will get to see her. In the meantime her husband will be a single dad with three small children who will have to grow up without a mother. That is really sad. I think a lot of people also think that when something like this happens it was meant to be. I don't think God works that way. I think that we are all supposed to die and there are different ways for that to happen. I don't think he took her intentionally, I think he doesn't intervene that closely with our lives. But I don't really know, those are just my thoughts. Anyways, I hope that everyone who reads this can be a little more thankful for their current situation and not take advantage of the ones you love. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Snapshots by Jolene said...

I'm sorry for your loss Kendra... even though you weren't close with her it is heartbreaking, even for me and I didn't even know her. I also understand a bit what you are feeling. It has always bothered me that some "religious" folk seem to take life for granted... not living THIS life to the fullest because the "know" there is a better one to come. This just confirms to me that everyday we're alive, that is a celebration.

Anna Beal said...

So sad Kendra. I think of that stuff way too much. My prayers are with that family. They will really miss their mommy.